What is Botox®?
Botox® is well-known, extremely popular and definitely the “go-to” aesthetic cosmetic procedure for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles. It is also very interesting. Here are 10 things to know about the most popular aesthetic cosmetic procedure in the world.
10 things you need to know about Botox®:
- Lines and wrinkles form because of repeated muscle contractions when you laugh, frown and squint. When injected into the targeted muscle, Botox® blocks nerve signals to that muscle, stopping its contraction. Without the contraction, the wrinkle above the muscle either disappears or dramatically lessens.
- The frown area between the eyes is the most common area to be treated and usually requires five small pokes with a fine needle.
- Botox® was approved by the FDA for eye spasms in 1989 and approved for fine lines, wrinkles, creases and frown lines in 2002.
- Botox® is made from botulinum toxin type A, a neurotoxic protein produced by bacteria. Scientists found that injecting tiny amounts of botulinum toxin type A into a muscle temporarily paralyzed that muscle. This is important for your face because muscles are the cause of wrinkles around the forehead and eyes.
- The results of Botox® are not immediate. Botox® takes about a week to fully relax the targeted muscle.
- The full results of a Botox® treatment last three to four months and may be combined with other treatments such as dermal fillers.
- The degree of improvement depends on how deep the creases are when you begin treatment. Every patient sees improvement.
- Botox® does wear off, but most of Dr. Guarnieri’s patients love it and return for repeat injections.
- If you do happen to experience a very rare side effect, Botox® will wear off and everything will go back to normal.
- Botox® eases that “angry” look, and depending on which way certain muscles pull, Botox® can give a lift to your eyes and mouth corners helping you look more rested. Botox® also slows the formation of fine lines and creases.
Don’t wait. If you have been considering a Botox® treatment, call to schedule an appointment, today. You are definitely worth it! (757) 345-2275.
Comments are closed.