Those groups of tiny blood vessels just under the surface of the skin that bear an uncanny resemblance to the creepy, crawly creatures whose name they share are called…SPIDER VEINS.
Spider veins may be a result of standing for long periods of time, hormones or heredity.
They may also be a part of the aging process or appear following pregnancy.
Regardless of their cause, spider veins are unsightly, painful and embarrassing.
- Studies show that a third of all women experience spider veins.
- Spider Veins are clearly visible as tiny red, blue or purple lines which appear on the nose, face, thighs and lower legs. Unlike varicose veins, they do not bulge above the skin surface.
- Spider veins are the mildest manifestation of venous insufficiency. Although they may cover large areas, they are a cosmetic problem and do not require medical treatment.
- They usually appear in one of three characteristic patterns – a “sunburst” or spider-web pattern, a “tree-branch” pattern, or a linear “matting” pattern that appears as a set of thin lines.
- Some physicians may conduct an ultrasound exam to determine the extent of the problem and the underlying causes of the condition.
Preventing spider veins
Spider veins aren’t completely avoidable, especially as you age, but there are some things you can do to prevent them:
- Avoid wearing tight clothing that can cut off your circulation
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Add walking to your daily routine
- Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time
- Don’t cross your legs when sitting
- Avoid salt
If you have decided you want to eliminate your unsightly spider veins, Williamsburg Plastic Surgery and Dr. Guarnieri use Sclerotherapy to treat and eliminate spider veins.
- During a sclerotherapy treatment, a saline solution is injected into the veins, causing them to shrink and dissolve over time.
- Treatment is done in our office; you should be able to resume your normal activities immediately.
- If you decide on sclerotherapy treatments, wearing pantyhose for two weeks following the procedure is recommended. Pantyhose provide support and optimize your results.
Call us at 757.345.2275 to schedule a consultation today! Your legs will thank you!
Comments are closed.